Thursday, December 4, 2008

Memories of My Mom: Potstickers and Dipping Sauce


This is one of the few recipes that I taught my mom how to make. The first time I tried it, I actually tried to make my own wrappers. They came out very doughy. After that, I just used round wonton wrappers. Of course, being the talent that she is, my mom perfected my recipe...this is her version. Pardon the blurriness of the pictures, they are from my camera phone.

1/4 (or so) lb shrimp in shell, peeled, deveined, and coarsely chopped (optional)
1 lb ground pork
1 bunch chopped scallions, white parts only
1 to 2 Tbs soy sauce
1 Tbs fish sauce
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tsp minced peeled fresh ginger
1/2 t sesame oil
Wonton wrappers (you can make your own, but I'm not that talented)
warm water
peanut or vegetable oil
chicken stock

Mix all the ingredients except the oil together with your hands until they are well mixed. Place about 1 teaspoon of the meat mixture in the middle of each wonton wrapper, wet the edges with water and seal. Be sure to get all the air bubbles out so that the dumpling won't burst when cooking.

Add a touch of oil to the pan and heat it to high heat. Place the dumplings in the pan and quickly sear until the bottom is golden. Add some chicken stock (enough to cover the bottom of the pan), put a lid on it and "steam" until the dumpling is cooked through. Remove from heat and serve with dipping sauce.

Dipping Sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup or so of water
2 teaspoons white sugar
1/4 cup light rice vinegar
1 tsp sesame oil
red pepper flakes
chopped scallions, green parts (4-5 scallions)

Mix all ingredients together.

No comments: