Friday, June 26, 2009

Shanghai Noodles

Summer is a great time! June - October, to be exact...FARMER'S MARKET!!! I went on Saturday and found some delicious treasures:
- fresh made shanghai noodles
- snap peas
- shiitake and beech mushrooms

Mmmmmmmm...I'm thinking stirfried shanghai noodles with prawns!!!! My own 'house special', if you will.

1 lb shanghai noodles, blanched
1 lb prawns (I use 15-20 count)
1 lb snap peas, blanched (they should still be crispy)
1 lb mushrooms (use your favorites, but know that some mushrooms - such as portabellas - are too strong in flavor to use in stirfry. I used a combination of shiitake and beech)
1/2 small head of cabbage, sliced (not too thinly)
2 eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon sesame seed oil
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1 sliced onion
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1-2 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoons sugar
Canola oil
Black pepper to taste

In a bowl, mix shrimp, cornstarch, coriander and sesame oil. Set aside. In a hot wok, coat with canola oil, and quickly scramble the eggs (note: I usually make thin egg crepes and slice them fine rather than scramble, but either method is fine). Remove eggs from heat and set aside. Stir-fry the shrimp for only 2 minutes keeping them rare. Set aside. In the same wok, add a little more oil and caramelize garlic, ginger and onions. Add cabbage, chicken stock and oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar - cook until softened. Add mushrooms. Add noodles, peas, eggs and shrimp. Toss to heat through. Season with black pepper (I like to garnish with cilantro sprigs). Serve!

1 comment:

Julie Ann Rachelle Interior Design said...

Hi Jennifer sweetie, lovely blog! This is not a robot-spammer post, but I see you are a follower of my blog Everyday Digital Scrapbooking http://everydaydigitalscrapbooking. blogspot.com. I'm trying to find all the followers. I will not be updating it, I lost my password. Read all about it here --->My new blog is at http://julieannshahin.blogspot.com/

I love networking with scrappers! I hope you'll follow my new blog.
xoxo,
JA