Sunday, June 27, 2010

Jack Shrimp (ish)

When I lived in the OC, I'd take PCH home...it is an amazingly pretty drive along the coast. In Newport Beach, a little eatery called Jack Shrimp sits across from PCH, facing the ocean. More often than not, I'd stop on the way home to sit on the patio with a good book and big bowl of their Jack Shrimp, washing it all down with a belgian pale. I'm sure their other dishes are delicious as well, but I can't guarantee it. In all the times I've been there, I've only ordered the Jack Shrimp. Below is my attempt at recreating the dish. I think I came pretty close! There is not shoreline here, but our shady back patio and a bottle of blue moon makes up for it.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 c butter
5-6 cloves of garlic, crushed
2-3 shallots, thinly sliced
1 t celery seeds
1/2 t fennel seeds
2 t rosemary
LOTS of ground pepper
1 6oz can tomato paste
1 c white wine (I used a Marlborough sauvignon blanc)
2 quarts chicken stock
2 lbs EXTRA LARGE prawns (Tiger Prawns if you can find them), deveined but not peeled
French bread

- Heat olive oil and butter in an enamel dutch oven, add the garlic and shallots and saute until they start caramelizing and you can smell the yummy aroma
- Add celery seeds, fennel seeds, rosemary and pepper. Saute for a minute or 2 to release their flavors
- Add the tomato paste and saute until everything is well blended (for lack of a better description). I gauge everything with the smell test - all of these ingredients should smell delicious...that's how you know you've sauteed enough.
- Deglaze the pot with wine, let it cook until the desired amt of alcohol has burned off (the desired amount is up to you).
- Add the chicken stock - bring everything to a full boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Allow it to simmer for 1/2 hour to an hour (longer = more intense flavor).
- When you are ready to serve, add the prawns. HINT: once you've added the shrimp, do not allow the stock to return to a full boil - that will result in tough shrimp.

As soon as the prawns are cooked, serve in bowls with lots of crusty French bread. You do not need utensils for this. Use the bread to mop up the sauce and peel and eat the shrimp. Trust me, you will not want to waste one single delicious drop of this. It's even better the next day, when all the flavors have melded.

5 comments:

pgmini said...

I do not know who you are, and I haven't made this recipe yet, but thank you. I am so excited to try and have this dish again.

Laura said...

We ate at Jack Shrimp a lot when we lived in Corona Del Mar. The food is amazing, the Bread and Sauce..Oh, we still dream of it. I am excited to try this recipe!!

Dakota Charlie von Tundra said...

No no no. So wrong on the recipe, I see this all over the internet. And it was an expensive mistake that left my family disappointed.
**Killer Shrimp and Jack shrimp do NOT use tomato paste,or fennel or chicken stock (sometimes people say clam sauce can be used- still NO)
The base is a shrimp stock made from heads, tails and shells. The fat in the shrimp heads turns it the reddish color. It has to cook for about 6+ hours to get that deep taste. There's a much better recipe online but the guy uses too much butter, forgets the rosemary and doesn't explain when to add certain things. It's something like Lonatick shrimp, the taste is much closer to the real thing.

Rena said...

Do u have that recipe that u can share?

Unknown said...

@rena Found these 2 possibilities...

https://www.loanatik.com/2541-2/

https://copykat.com/killer-shrimp/